What is Ethanol?
Ethanol, often simply called alcohol, is a colorless, volatile liquid with a distinctive odor. It has the chemical formula C2H5OH and is often used as a solvent, disinfectant and in alcoholic beverages.
What do you use Ethanol for?
- Alcoholic Beverages: It is the active ingredient in beer, wine and spirits.
- Disinfectant: In hand sanitizers and for medical and laboratory applications.
- Fuel: As bioethanol in some vehicles.
- Solvent: In the production of paint, varnish and ink.
- Laboratory applications: In chemical synthesis and extraction processes.
Dangers of Ethanol
Although ethanol is consumed in alcoholic beverages, excessive intake can be harmful. It is also highly flammable and can be irritating to the eyes. Always work in a well-ventilated area and avoid direct contact.
Other common areas of application:
- As a preservative in the cosmetics industry.
- In the manufacture of perfumes and fragrances.
- As an antifreeze in refrigerants.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Is Ethanol drinkable in its pure form?
Pure ethanol is not intended for consumption. Drinkable alcohol is diluted and often mixed with other substances.
- What is the difference between Ethanol and Methanol?
Although both are alcohols, methanol is toxic to humans and should not be consumed.
- Where can I find more information about Ethanol?
For detailed information, please visit [Pubchem – Ethanol].
Where can I buy high quality ethanol?
Are you looking for top quality ethanol? DutchChems delivers reliably and quickly. We ensure the best quality for all your application needs.