What is Paraformaldehyde?
Paraformaldehyde is a white crystalline solid material derived from formaldehyde. It is a polymerization product of formaldehyde and is often used as a disinfectant, fungicide and fixative.
What do you use Paraformaldehyde for?
Paraformaldehyde has several important applications:
- Biomedical Sciences: As a fixative for cell and tissue examples for microscopy.
- Industrial: As a disinfectant and for the production of various resins and other organic compounds.
- Agricultural: As a soil disinfectant and fungicide.
Properties of Paraformaldehyde
Paraformaldehyde is not soluble in cold water, but can be hydrolyzed to formaldehyde in hot water or with dilute acids. Due to its disinfecting and fixing properties, it is often used in laboratories and industrial applications.
Other common areas of application:
- In the production of plastics and resins.
- As a crosslinking agent in the production of polymers.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How should I safely store Paraformaldehyde? It should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from open flames and hot surfaces. It should also be stored in a tightly sealed container to avoid exposure to the air.
- Is Paraformaldehyde toxic? Yes, it is toxic if inhaled, swallowed or in contact with the skin. It is important to take adequate safety precautions when handling.
- Where can I find more information about Paraformaldehyde? More information can be found in the safety data sheets offered, or at: Pubchem.
Where can I buy Paraformaldehyde?
Looking for Paraformaldehyde for laboratory, industrial or agricultural applications? DutchChems offers high quality Paraformaldehyde for various professional needs.