What is Sodium Thiosulfate?
Sodium thiosulfate (Na 2 S2O3)is a white crystalline powder that is often referred to as fixing salt. It is known for its ability to dissolve silver halides, making it an essential ingredient in photographic fixatives.
What do you use Sodium Thiosulfate for?
Sodium thiosulfate has several uses:
- Photography: As a fixative to remove unchanged silver halide after the development process.
- Medical: In treatments for cyanide poisoning.
- Aquariums: To neutralize chlorine and chloramine in tap water.
Properties of Sodium Thiosulfate
Sodium thiosulfate is highly soluble in water and is often used in aqueous solutions. When heated, it can decompose, producing sulfur dioxide and sulfur.
Other common areas of application:
- In the textile industry for the removal of chlorine from bleached fabrics.
- As an antioxidant in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How should I safely store Sodium Thiosulfate? Store it in a cool, dry place in a tightly sealed container, away from strong acids and oxidizing agents.
- Can I use Sodium Thiosulfate for my pool? Yes, it is often used to neutralize chlorine and bromine in swimming pools. However, always observe the correct dosage and precautions.
- Where can I find more information about Sodium Thiosulfate? More information can be found in the safety data sheets offered, or at: Pubchem.
Where Can I Buy Sodium Thiosulfate?
Looking for Sodium Thiosulfate for photography, medical applications or aquatic purposes? DutchChems offers top quality sodium thiosulfate for a wide range of applications.