What is Lactic Acid?
Lactic acid, also known by its chemical formula C₃H₆O₃, is an organic acid that occurs naturally in various foods and also in the human body during exercise. It is a colorless to yellow liquid and is known for its role in the fermentation processes.
What do you use Lactic Acid for?
Lactic acid has many uses, including:
- Food industry: As a preservative and flavor enhancer in food.
- Sports and fitness: Understood as a byproduct of muscle activity during intense exercise.
- Skin care: As a component in exfoliating and moisturizing creams.
- Fermentation: In the production of various fermented foods, such as yogurt and sauerkraut.
Dangers of Lactic Acid
Although lactic acid occurs naturally in many foods and in the body, in concentrated form it can cause irritation to the skin and eyes. It is always advisable to be careful when handling pure lactic acid.
Other common areas of application:
- As a pH regulator in cosmetics and personal care products.
- Production of bioplastic: used as a monomer in the manufacture of polylactide.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What does lactic acid do in your body?
- Lactic acid is a byproduct of anaerobic metabolism in muscles during intense exercise. It can cause temporary muscle fatigue and pain.
- Is lactic acid vegan?
- While lactic acid occurs naturally in milk, it is often produced commercially via bacterial fermentation and thus can be vegan. It is important to check the source.
- Where can I find more information about Lactic Acid?
- For more details on lactic acid, pleasevisit https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Lactic-Acid
Where can I buy high quality lactic acid?
DutchChems is your reliable source for top quality lactic acid. Place your order and experience our fast delivery. Check the specifications depending on your application.