What is Sodium Benzoate?
Sodium benzoate, with the chemical formula C7H5NaO2, is a white, odorless, crystalline powder commonly used as a preservative in foods and beverages. This sodium salt of benzoic acid helps inhibit the growth of fungi, yeasts and bacteria in acidic products.
What do you use Sodium Benzoate for?
Sodium benzoate has several applications:
- Food preservation: Maintains the freshness of products by preventing the growth of microorganisms.
- Pharmaceutical: As a preservative in medicines and as a therapeutic agent for urea cycle disorders.
- Cosmetics: Used in shampoos, lotions and other skin care products due to its antimicrobial properties.
Properties of Sodium Benzoate
Sodium benzoate is often chosen for its effectiveness in lower concentrations, and because it does not affect the taste, color and smell of food products.
Other common areas of application:
- As a corrosion inhibitor in the automotive industry.
- In combination with citric acid or ascorbic acid in many carbonated drinks.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How should I safely store Sodium Benzoate? Store it in a cool, dry place in a tightly sealed container.
- Is Sodium Benzoate Safe for Consumption? Yes, but within recommended dosages. It is recognized worldwide as a safe food additive.
- Can Sodium Benzoate Cause Allergic Reactions? Although rare, some people may be sensitive and have an allergic reaction. If in doubt, consult a doctor.
- Where can I find more information about Sodium Benzoate? More information can be found in the safety data sheets offered, or at: Pubchem.
Where Can I Buy Sodium Benzoate?
Looking for Sodium Benzoate for food preservation, pharmaceutical applications or cosmetics? DutchChems offers top quality sodium benzoate for various professional applications.