What is Sodium Metabisulphite?
Sodium metabisulphite, with the chemical formula Na 2S2O5, is a white crystalline or powdered salt. It is often used as a preservative and antioxidant in both the food and pharmaceutical industries.
What do you use Sodium Metabisulphite for?
Sodium metabisulphite has a wide range of uses:
- Food industry: As a preservative for dried fruits, wines and juices to prevent oxidation and discoloration.
- Photography: As a fixative during the development process.
- Water treatment: As an oxygen separator in boiler water.
Properties of Sodium Metabisulphite
In addition to its preservative and antioxidant abilities, Sodium Metabisulphite is also known for its ability to remove chlorine from solutions, which is useful in water treatment applications.
Other common areas of application:
- In the textile industry to neutralize chlorine and preserve the colors.
- As a bleach in the pulp and paper industry.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How should I safely store Sodium Metabisulphite? Store it in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight, in a tightly sealed container.
- Is Sodium Metabisulphite Safe for Consumption? It is often used in foods, but in limited quantities. Always check for recommended dosages for specific applications.
- Can it cause allergic reactions? Some people may be allergic to sulfites, so caution should be exercised when consuming.
- Where can I find more information about Sodium Metabisulphite? More information can be found in the safety data sheets offered, or at: Pubchem.
Where Can I Buy Sodium Metabisulphite?
Are you looking for sodium metabisulphite for food preservation, photographic applications or water treatment? DutchChems offers high quality sodium metabisulphite for your specific requirements.