What is Sodium Metasilicate – Water Glass?
Sodium metasilicate, often referred to as Water glass, is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula Na2SiO3. In its liquid form, it is known for its sticky, gel-like consistency, which explains the nickname “Water glass”. This versatile chemical has various industrial applications.
What to use Sodium Metasilicate – Water Glass for?
Sodium metasilicate has several uses:
- Construction: As a sealant for concrete floors and as a fire retardant.
- Automotive industry: In automotive batteries and as a corrosion inhibitor.
- Household: As an ingredient in detergents and cleaning products.
Properties of Sodium Metasilicate – Water Glass
Water glass is a powerful binder, sealant and glue. It is also alkaline and can be used to neutralize acids.
Other common areas of application:
- In the textile industry for printing fabrics.
- As a preservative for eggs in some traditional methods.
- In the pulp and paper industry.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How should I safely store Sodium Metasilicate? Store it in a cool, dry place, away from acids and organics, in a tightly sealed container.
- Is it safe for domestic use? Although it is used in some household cleaners, direct contact with the skin and eyes should be avoided.
- Where can I find more information about Sodium Metasilicate – Water Glass? More information can be found in the safety data sheets offered, or at: Pubchem.
Where can I buy Sodium Metasilicate – Water Glass?
Are you looking for Sodium Metasilicate – Water glass for construction, automotive or household applications? DutchChems supplies top quality water glass for your specific needs.