What is sulfuric acid?
Sulfuric acid, also known as vitriol, is a strong acid that is widely used in various industries and laboratories. It is a colorless to pale yellow, viscous liquid with the chemical formula H2SO4. Our sulphuric acid is of technical quality and is particularly concentrated. It is essential to use caution when handling this powerful chemical.
What do you use sulfuric acid for?
Sulfuric acid is a crucial industrial reagent used in the production of a wide range of substances, including fertilizers, detergents and various types of acids. Some of the main applications are:
- Production of fertilizer: It plays a central role in the production of phosphate fertilizer.
- Purification of oil products: In refineries, it helps to remove impurities.
- Batteries: It is the main ingredient in lead-acid batteries.
- Production of chemicals: It is used in the production of other acids, such as hydrochloric acid and nitric acid.
- Laboratory applications: Used in many chemical reactions and processes.
Dangers of sulfuric acid
Sulfuric acid is a very corrosive substance and should be handled with care. It can cause severe burns upon contact with the skin and is especially dangerous for the eyes. It is essential to always wear protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when working with this fabric.
Other common areas of application:
- Metalworking and electroplating
- Dye production
- Synthetic fibres and film production
- Rusting and degreasing of metals
- Engraving of printed circuit boards
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Is sulfuric acid dangerous?
- Yes, this substance is corrosive and can cause severe burns when in contact with the skin or eyes. It is essential to take precautions when handling it.
- What should I do in case of contact with sulfuric acid?
- In case of skin contact, the affected area should be rinsed immediately with plenty of cold water. In case of eye contact, rinse the eyes immediately and seek medical attention.
- Can I use it at home?
- It is recommended to use sulfuric acid only in a controlled environment and with proper safety equipment.
- Is it safe to mix sulfuric acid with other chemicals?
- No, it is essential to check compatibility before mixing chemicals. Some combinations can cause dangerous reactions.
- Where can I find more information about sulphuric acid?
- More information can be found in the safety data sheets provided, or at: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/1118
Where can I buy Sulfuric Acid?
If you are looking for high-quality sulphuric acid, DutchChems is the right place for you. Simply place your order and we will ensure fast delivery. Please note that, due to the nature of this product, there may be special shipping requirements.