What is Tetrahydrofuran (THF)?
Tetrahydrofuran, often abbreviated to THF, is an organic solvent that belongs to the family of ether compounds. It is a colorless, volatile liquid with a slightly sweet odor. THF is highly flammable and can easily mix with water and many organic solvents.
What to use Tetrahydrofuran (THF) for
- Solvent: Thanks to its ability to dissolve many organic substances, THF is often used as a solvent in laboratory and industrial applications.
- Production of polymers: THF is a precursor for the production of polytetrahydrofuran, an important component in the manufacture of elastomers and polyurethane fibers.
- Grignard reactions: In organic synthesis, THF is used as a reaction agent, especially in Grignard reactions.
Properties of Tetrahydrofuran (THF)
THF is highly flammable and should be kept away from open flames and high temperatures. It can also form peroxides when exposed to air, giving it an explosion risk with long-term storage.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Is Tetrahydrofuran (THF) dangerous?
Yes, it can be harmful if inhaled, swallowed or skin contact. It is also highly flammable. Always use in a well-ventilated area and store in a cool, dry place.
- How should I store THF?
Store it in a tightly sealed container, protected from light and moisture, in a cool, dry and well-ventilated place.
- Where can I find more information about Tetrahydrofuran (THF)?
For detailed information, please visit [Pubchem – Tetrahydrofuran].
Where can I buy high quality Tetrahydrofuran (THF)?
For high quality Tetrahydrofuran (THF) you can always contact DutchChems.